Please Vote :)

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me! Don't forget to click on one of these two links everyday...keep my blog on their websites :) Thank you.

Monday 24 August 2015

Can't foster but want to help?

I'm creating a "First Night" survival kit.  Here is what I have on the list of things to go in it so far.  If you'd like to contribute please do!  If I end up with double ups it doesn't matter - I've recently started a group for foster parents in our local area who I am also sure will benefit from these items in their kits!

The emergency placement survival kit

A polar fleece blanket 
Why?  Some kids are too old to snuggle with teddy - but no one is too old to snuggle with a blanket.  They are pretty cheap and they can take it with them as a reminder of their stay.  

A couple of school books and pens.
If they aren’t at primary school, they probably don’t have a desk.  The last thing they want is getting to school and getting in trouble for having no school books!

A colouring book and nice coloured pencils.  
It is therapeutic for any age to colour.  Get them nice coloured pencils though - nothing more than frustrating having to sharpen every ten seconds.  Have a girl one, a boy one, and a sophisticated one. 

A nightlight (minilamp)
no matter what age - the dark is scary if you’ve been abused.  They can always turn it off if they don’t like it!

Underwear
To be economical…go every second size…Most people can fit a size either way! But you really don’t want to have to be ripping their undies off them to get in the wash that first night. You don’t want to push them to do anything…if they normally sleep with undies on - you don’t want to be asking them to take them off to clean them (think sexual abuse history). 

Pyjamas
Pick a couple of sizes! Nothing wrong with pi’s that are a little big. 

Head-lice shampoo.  
I wouldn’t treat the first night…but you don’t want them to think you’ve gone out and especially brought it for them either.  I’ve had to treat myself first as well… then “oh no you caught it off me…lets do you to”

Spare toothbrushes
There is nothing like a new toothbrush - even if they do come with one!

A couple of family friendly movies. 
Any age!  Talking might not be high on the agenda those first 48 hours. Don’t get sad ones or scary ones.  I’ll work on a list at some stage!

Sanitry supplies
If you have teenage/preteen girls on your ‘approved’ placements agenda.  They will not want to ask!

A sealable plastic container to keep it all in.  
This also doubles as a headlice/drug residue contamination kit! Chuck it all in and leave it til the next day when everything can be cleaned and sorted!




And one last reminder...if you haven't clicked one of the 'badges' to Top Mommy Blogs today...click here: http://www.topmommyblogs.com/ to vote. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Where would we send things to? Do you know there is also a place called Kits2Kids on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have connected with them. They provide the essentials...but I know my friends are always looking for a way to help :) These are that little bit further... I think the best way to help is to give to people you know - that way you can see the difference you make :) Thanks for your movie suggestions too - I'll update them on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I only know of your family so would like to contribute, but ask your other half to send me an address through Facebook please (we used to work together) :-). Then I know where to send.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have asked him to message you. Thank you heaps!

    ReplyDelete