Please Vote :)

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me! Don't forget to click on one of these two links everyday...keep my blog on their websites :) Thank you.

Thursday 4 December 2014

I am sitting at my desk crying as I write this one.


It's Christmas time
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmas time
We let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

I learnt something this morning.  Miss 12 and I were singing along to the radio on the way to school, and the new version of "do they know it's Christmas time" came on and I sung away.  Next thing I had goosebumps.  Miss 12 made some comment about me being cold - and I said - no, it's the song.  As I realised it had just done something in me.  I told her it was one of my favourite Christmas songs and it always makes me think. It didn't tell her just how much it made me think. 


Feed the world...let them know it's Christmas time... Something hit me.  I know what Christmas is about now.  As the lead up to Christmas has come we've discovered Miss 12 doesn't really have any traditions.  Each year for Christmas she gets a new pillow for her bed.  But other than that - it's just any other day.  This Christmas we are feeding her not only her first Christmas roast, her wrapped up presents and probably a few badly sung Christmas Carols. We are feeding her traditions that she can carry with her for life.   

It's not going to be an easy Christmas for our family.  It's our first one without a very significant family member. But it's going to be an amazing one. Letting a nearly teenager experience a Christmas of many firsts.  She'll know it's Christmas time.  

It will also be her first Christmas that she doesn't need to be afraid.  No one will get drunk and hurt her. No one will call her names. Siblings won't be pulling her hair or taking her new pillow.  

All of a sudden that is what Christmas is about to me.  I've had real trouble answering the question from people: What do you want for Christmas this year?  I haven't been able to come up with a single thing.  I have said silently in my head "guardianship for Miss 12" but I haven't been able to think of one physical thing I wanted.  Because what I am looking forward to most is seeing a child enjoy Christmas for the first time in their lives.  That's enough present for me this year. 

I am sitting at my desk crying as I write this one.  



2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I can absolutely imagine Miss 12 lapping up those Christmas traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww miss 12 is Lucky to have u, as you are her guardian official or not.
    U guard her in your heart, u guard her day to day. your helping to shape and guard her with new traditions every moment u spend with her. Thats what a real guardian is.
    And i knw ur loved one is still guarding u from above thats what guardians do they never stop guardaing the ones they love mwah

    ReplyDelete