Please Vote :)

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me! Don't forget to click on one of these two links everyday...keep my blog on their websites :) Thank you.

Saturday 15 November 2014

Some things are sad.

You know when you go into foster care that some kids have had hard backgrounds.  You know that they don't have it easy, are neglected or abused. Stuff that makes your skin crawl when you think about it.

Miss 14 came to us yesterday afternoon.  While collecting her from the agency office and filling out a care plan her clothes arrived.

One bag of clothes and one of books.  Interesting combination.  When she was asked what clothes were in the bag she said Jerseys.  We had a look and sure enough all her mum had given her was jerseys.  Well that's not really good enough is it says social worker and I.  That's all I have at mums house says Miss 14.  Well where are all your clothes.  I have some at a friends place, I stay there some times.

When we got to the friends house, she grabbed a pair of ripped pants and was on the way.  They were bundled in a ball and the social worker asked her "is that all you need" she responded with 'yes'.

She got into my car at this point, and I said, are you sure that is going to be enough? She said it was.  So I said, I take it you've got undies and stuff wrapped up in those pants.  Nope, she tells me - just pants.

Well, we'll go back in then. You'll need undies, a bra, a clean t-shirt, something to sleep in.  This is all I have she said.  Suddenly everything fell into place and I jumped out of the car before the social worker had time to drive off.

"I don't think Miss 14 has any clothes"  Social worker questions me with her facial expressions.  I elaborate.  She has what she is wearing, three jerseys and a pair of pants.  She doesn't have any underwear.  We look at each other in shock just for a few minutes, the smells sinking into place.

She phones her supervisor with the "I don't know what to do here, this hasn't happened to me before..." Supervisor is visiting the mum and confirms there are no more clothes in Miss 14's bedroom.

THey're umming and ahhhing, not really sure what they can do about getting a money order at 6pm on a friday night.  I'll buy some I said, I'll keep the receipts, you guys can sort it out next week.  They umm and ahhh a little bit more. They're not allowed to approve spending without their bosses permission.  A couple more phone calls and I had permission to spend up to $100. Get the basics to last the weekend. We'll look into things more on Monday.

So we've done a bit of shopping.  Undies, bra, shorts, 2 t-shirts a nighty and some socks. She is overjoyed at her new clothes.  Now smelling delightful and clean.   Today the four of us went to a great big op shop for a few treats.  We made it seem like just something we were doing anyway.  But Miss 14 did get her very own pair of shoes.  She hasn't taken them off yet.

Feeling pretty sad for her.  There is an awful lot of other stuff going on.  But that's enough for now.  Her and Miss 12 are due back from the supermarket shortly.  So glad they are getting along well.

No comments:

Post a Comment